Friday, November 2, 2007

A college full of awesome professors.

So yesterday I was studying for my statistics test with two other girls. We weren't really getting anywhere so we decided to go to the Professor for help. She, like every other teacher, always encourages us to come by, especially before a test. She also told us to wait for a few minutes if she isn't there because she went to get food. Well, she wasn't there. We decided to sit outside of her office and wait. Brad Gubser, the other math teacher, walked by and told us that our teacher had gone home. He then told us he knew we had a test tomorrow and asked us if we had any questions. We had a lot! He had two meetings in the next two hours, and he insisted on moving the second one to help us, even though he wasn't our teacher. We tried to say it was ok, we didn't want to make him move meetings. He helped us for an hour, and went over both chapters. I was so amazed that someone who wasn't even our teacher rearranged his schedule to help us!!! To top it off, he sent us an email the next day asking us how we did. I am really impressed with all of the professors I have come across so far at Hiram. They all seem to go above and beyond. They are very supportive of the students and have a very, very open door policy. One more example. My chemistry teacher, the guy with the great British accent, invited all of the chemistry students to his house yesterday for dinner. Every year, him and his wife host a dinner. They live right here in Hiram, basically on campus. He said we were more than welcome to come in our Halloween costumes since it was only the day after Halloween. I walked in with my friends, and every room in the lower level of the house was packed with students. His wife made wonderful food and about four types of deserts. Professor Andrews told us all about the food: they had beef tips (or something, I don't eat meat so I don't remember exactly what it was), rice and curry for the vegetarians, and an organic salad. They also had cucumbers in dill and something else (very delicious!). The science students and teachers hung out for a while. I couldn't believe how relaxed the night was, and how comfortable I was in my professor's house. When it was time to go, we went up to his bedroom and got our coats. It felt more like I was in the house of one of my parents' or grandparents' homes, not a professor. We really do have amazing professors here at Hiram.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Stephanie,
I think you're writing a great blog. It was nice to see how the professors are accessible and friendly. I am helping my daughter search for a college - it's hard when I work and she's in school and involved with athletics, etc. Keep your chin up, sounds like you are doing great - Logan's mom